Yeah, saw them this morning too, thanks to google news, but its a lot of hot air around some ancient facts....
I've… seen things you people wouldn't believe… Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those… moments… will be lost in time, like tears… in… rain.
1) No announcements about any kind of Blood Dragon 2 or whatever FC4's equivalent would be. I think Ubi expected that Yeti would fill that role, but they never really came right out and said that.
2) Not one word mentioned at E3 about anything Far Cry related.
3) They have those two open world Tom Clancy games in the works taking up tons of resources and likely the best teams (programmers, modellers, etc). I realize every IP is separate, but Ubi as a whole has to look at where to put all of their efforts and with these plus a rumored Watch Dogs 2, yet another Assassin's Creed (or three), the Crew and who knows what else I just don't know where Far Cry falls on their priorities list.
4) The one criticism that was most leveled against FC4 was that it was too much like FC3. Some people even going so far as to call it just a reskin etc. And I can see how that LOOKS like it was the case (although I know it was much, much more involved than that). I worry that has them re-adjusting future plans to make the game visually and thematically different than the last two - which means delays. Lots of delays. That weird survey they put out sort of backs up my theory here. Although I really feel like the survey was used in a wider sense to gauge interest in titles they are developing & thinking about developing. It was less about Far Cry 5 then it was "what should Ubi work on next?"
5) I even tried messaging a few of the Ubi community privately to see if they would at least confirm that Ubi was working ON SOMETHING (anything!) for the Far Cry series. No responses back. Not even a copy paste of some company drivel i.e. "thank you for your interest. We here at Ubisoft value your opinion blah blah blah". Nothing. I'm being stonewalled again. Sigh. Not that I have any real contacts over there anyway. I was hoping given that they know who am and what I do for the game they might be a little more inclined to throw me a bone. But nope.
I have no idea what is going to happen but if I had to gamble my bet would be they take another 1.5 - 2 years to develop the next installment so they have sufficient time to create something very different in appearance than the last two games and so they have time watch how the slew of new open world games does (pretty damn well I'm sure). They most likely also don't want to compete with a huge glut of AAA titles that are nearly out now.
You also never know what kind of closed door deals are made. Who knows if development will coincide with the XBOX TWO or whatever the "next gen" of consoles will be... :/